Sunday, September 16, 2018

Favorite Books of the Year (so far)


As you might know, I have a very eclectic taste in books. This list is therefore, quite befitting of my overall reading style. We have adult fiction. We have young adult fantasy, we have Japanese surrealism, we have graphic novels, we have… okay, you get it. 

Anyhow, as of the end of August, I had read over 60 books in 2018 so far and I wanted to share some of the gold amidst the iron pyrite. These are in no particular order, unless the order in which they came to mind counts. It probably does say something, now that I think about it.


·     Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
I just spent several moments writing down descriptions for this book and then erasing them. It’s an… adult-neighborhood-drama-mystery-novel about a quirky artist and her daughter moving into an affluent, structured neighborhood and how their presence upsets the carefully constructed balance of the lives of one family a few houses down. It’s about secrets and race. It’s about art and honesty. The author’s timing is perfect. This is how adult fiction should be. Sidenote: I would also recommend Ng’s other novel: Everything I Never Told You.
·     A Darker Shade of Magic Series
 I effusively gushed about this unique and character-driven fantasy series. I hate to be redundant, so go ahead and hop on over to that post for my thoughts. Really, I hate to repeat myself (:P) 
·     Scythe Series
This book (and its sequel, Thunderhead) was endlessly recommend by Regan over at PeruseProject and I can’t believe I waited so long to take her advice. I cross my heart I will listen to you sooner next time, Regan! In a not-too-distant future, all natural death has been eliminated. Therefore, certain individuals must take on the role of “sycthes,” men and women who glean people in order to keep the population under control. The discussions of politics and morality that can come out of reading this book are profound and the characters are ever-lovable. 
·     Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Laini Taylor has a way of making words flow and dance, spun sugar in a light breeze. I feel like I am under a spell when I read her work; coming out of her books always leaves me feeling a bit dazed and disoriented, the real world temporarily dulled by her enchanting stories. Again, I have a longer review over on my fantasy post (http://thegirlbecoming.blogspot.com/2018/08/enchantment-and-power-struggles-my-top.html
·     This is How It Always Is
This is a novel about a family processing their youngest child being transgender. It is nuanced and complex, and includes the varied emotions of each family member as they go through both internal and external struggles associated with this huge change. Books have the beautiful task of helping readers to see perspectives different from their own; This is How It Always Is successfully puts readers in the position of a family undergoing metamorphosis, as the youngest child isn’t the only one who undergoes a transformation. What a wonderful way to learn about this relevant topic. 
·     Monstress
If you are looking for a graphic novel with a badass, morally-gray female protagonist and a gorgeous and intricate art style, this may be the one for you. Monstress is about a young woman looking for answers… and cutting down anyone who gets in her way. It is about a war between humans and (essentially) demi-gods, and the hateful discrimination that stems from physical differences. It also has an adorable fox girl in it, which is really what sold me.
·     1Q84
To read Murakami’s work, you really must be invested. I listened to this on audiobook… for 46 hours. Yes, that’s right; it’s a 46 hour long audiobook. For those of you who need resolution and you need it NOW, this may not be the book for you. However, for people with the patience of a saint and a lot of free time on their hands, this slow-burn Japanese surrealist work might just do. This book isn’t exciting, per say. It’s certainly strange and, at times, eerie. It’s also oddly addictive. I felt very satisfied having read this novel and am looking forward to exploring more of Murakami’s work in the future.
·     Call Me by Your Name
Okay, so this is admittedly not going to be everyone’s cup of tea. It does certainly include sexually explicit scenes and vivid descriptions. It is very slice-of-life, in the fact that the majority of the story takes place over one single summer. There were many beautiful moments in this book, moments that effectively left me with the bittersweet feeling that life is ephemeral and that beautiful moments are simply not meant to last forever; their transience is part of what makes them meaningful. For those of you who are curious, I did watch the film first and would say that I enjoyed it more, but I’m usually prone to preferring whichever medium I consumed first. If you are looking for a love story filled with passion, awkwardness, heartfelt conversation, and a sense of temporality, pick up Call Me by Your Name.

That’s it, darling! My favorite books of the year, so far! I can’t wait to see what the last four months of 2018 bring, literature-wise. I’ll certainly be finalizing my list come the new year. Let me know what your favorite book has been this year!

            Love,

                        Lola
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Favorite Books of the Year (so far)

As you might know, I have a very eclectic taste in books. This list is therefore, quite befitting of my overall reading style. We have ...

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig