Sunday, September 2, 2018

Autumnal Bucket List


Hello darlings,
            After months and months of waiting, the best time of the year is finally creeping up on us. A few leaves are beginning to yellow and the morning air is crisp, hitting my skin with just a hint of chill. I’m even sitting here wearing a sweater! All is finally right with the world.
            There is a special kind of magic to autumn; though I am unable to articulate it, I can feel it in the air, a calming and a buzzing excitement in co-occurrence. To honor my favorite season, I wanted to share a list of things I always do come fall. Let me know if you have any special autumnal traditions of your own.

Ten Autumnal Activities
1.     Take pictures with leaves. The colors provide a gorgeous backdrop for photos… plus, it’s a nice excuse to take a lovely walk with a friend.
2.     Bake a pumpkin loaf. I have a killer vegan chocolate chip pumpkin loaf recipe that I’ll be sharing soon! The spicy autumnal flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg blend perfectly well with the luxe melting sweetness of dark chocolate. This is even more enjoyable if done with a friend! The first time I tried this recipe was with my Mom and I have since shared the experience with several of my close friends.
3.     Speaking of pumpkin… try pumpkin oatmeal. If you cook your oats on the stove, you can stir in ¼ cup of pumpkin puree (no sugar added) and top with pecans and chocolate chips… mmmmmm….

4.    Buy a burnt orange clothing item... like these shoes, which make me feel like a seasonally appropriate lady boss.
5.     Eat breakfast on the balcony (or porch, or outdoor bench) in the chill morning air. This pairs especially well with a steaming bowl of the aforementioned pumpkin oats.
6.     Perfect your homemade matcha latte. This one is something that I am still working on, but will prioritize this fall season. For years, I have been attempting to make my almond milk matcha lattes as dreamily creamy and pastel as the one at the Japanese café down the street. It’s a work in progress. Much like life.
7.     Read “The Secret History” by Donna Tartt. I don’t know what it is about this book. Maybe it’s the collegiate setting, the Greek studies, the eerie mystery of it all… but it reminds me of autumn like no other. Want to hear more fall book recommendations? I’ll be posting about my favorite autumnal reads soon!
8.     Read a story about the fae. This topic also feels as though it is laden with just the right amount of enchantment to personify autumn. Become engrossed in a world of dark magic, shadow-filled forests and the creatures who dwell within them with a fairy-centered read.
9.     Listen to Lord Huron and The Paper Kites on repeat. No music feels as iconically fall to me as are these two artists. If you are hard-core (like me) about them, try to catch one of these bands on tour! Any music recommendations based upon them would be appreciated!

10.  Go for a bike ride in a sweater. Wend your way through a park or neighborhood, marveling at the amber leaves, the beautiful transience of life and its seasons. 

Difficult as it may be, try to remember that the ephemeral nature of things is, in part, what serves to make them so very beautiful. Remember to breathe in the air and breathe out the peace that this season gifts to us.
     Love,
                 Lola 



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Favorite Books of the Year (so far)

As you might know, I have a very eclectic taste in books. This list is therefore, quite befitting of my overall reading style. We have ...

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig